Senate Minority Leader Brian W. Jones (R-San Diego) announced that the California Senate Republican Caucus has unanimously selected Senator Janet Nguyen (R-Huntington Beach) to serve as the California Senate Minority Caucus Chair.
“Janet has my full support as the new Caucus Chair,” said Leader Jones. “As an immigrant who came here to pursue the American Dream, Janet is a fierce advocate for communities who have been left behind by California’s progressive agenda. Congratulations Janet, now let’s get to work on fixing California!”
Senator Nguyen is committed to addressing inflation, the high cost of living, homelessness, crime, and education in the coming weeks and months. Senator Nguyen is already fighting for her constituents to combat high gas prices by authoring and co-authoring multiple bills to suspend the gas tax and limit the amount the tax can be raised annually.
“I am honored to receive this appointment as the California Senate Minority Caucus Chair,” said Senator Nguyen. “As Chairwoman, I will continue to provide relief for taxpayers, strengthen our economy, and increase public safety to ensure residents of the great state of California are safe and feel at home in their own neighborhoods. I look forward to working with my fellow Republicans and colleagues across the aisle to improve the lives of the residents of my district as well as every Californian.”
The Caucus Chair is the number two position in the California Senate Republican leadership structure. Senator Nguyen will assist Leader Jones in overseeing caucus operations, advancing the California Republican message, and achieving the Caucus’ legislative goals.
Senator Nguyen is known for her “first” in public service:
- First Vietnamese American to hold the position of California Senate Minority Caucus Chair;
- Currently the highest-ranking Vietnamese American elected official in California;
- First Vietnamese American elected to the State Senate in the nation;
- First Vietnamese American woman elected to the California State Assembly;
- First Asian-American and the first Vietnamese American to serve on the Orange County Board of Supervisors;
- First woman Supervisor to represent the First District on the Orange County Board of Supervisors;
- Youngest Supervisor elected in Orange County history.